21 January 2012

Kimber Custom Covert II: Internal Parts

With all of the external parts already discussed, now I will talk about the internal parts that will be installed into the Kimber Custom Covert II. These parts are actually performance-enhancing parts which will help increase power, range and accuracy.

I don't usually tinker with Tokyo Marui guns as I always believe their guns are the best out-of-the-box guns in the airsoft market. Another reason why I don't modify Marui guns is that here in Japan, airsoft is legal, but there is a power limit. Japanese law requires all airsoft guns to not exceed 0.98 joule power (roughly 320fps) using 0.2g plastic BBs. And with the advent of TM's Next Generation AEGs, the recoil shock versions, no modifications are needed because the recent releases of TM performs very well. Consistent chrono tests show that these guns (assault rifles) shoot close to the Japanese law limit. With this, I can only think of a tight bore barrel upgrade to increase range and accuracy; but still, if you've used a Tokyo Marui before, you know that their guns are already accurate and has the best out-of-the-box grouping compared to other manufacturers.

I'm saying all these and basing it from my own experience. My VSR10 G-Spec sniper rifle was performing a bit low on power, but it sure shoots straight and true. I changed the inner barrel to a PSS10 430mm 6.03mm tight bore barrel at put a couple of barrel spacers and it almost broke the limit!

When I purchased a TM AK47, I bought along with it a Prometheus 6.03mm tight bore barrel that I had intended to install on it. But upon testing the gun, it shoots like a regular TM AEG powerwise, but it shoots straight and accurate like my upgraded VSR. So I never bothered modifying the gun and eventually I sold the barrel. In my whole airsoft experience, I have used that AK more than any other gun I've used, and it certainly got the most kills in the field compared to my other guns.

Right now, I'm using a Tokyo Marui RECCE Rifle as my primary weapon. It clocks at 300fps which is around 0.92 joules. Now, I don't wanna end up spending 3 years of my life in prison and paying a fine of 300,000yen (US$3,000) so I didn't modify it. Besides, like my AK before, it shoots straight and has a very long range like my VSR10.

With all that being said (I didn't realize it was a very long intro already!), I am modifying a few internal parts of the M.E.U. while converting it to a Custom Covert II just because it is a pistol. Although it is a TM and the quality and performance is great already, a TM pistol is just way below the Japanese law limit. Chrono tests show that most Marui GBBs (gas blowbacks) shoot at about 0.6-ish joule. While I don't intend to have my pistol shooting like my RECCE Rifle, an additional 0.1-0.15 joule won't hurt.

Before I was even planning on converting my M.E.U. to a Kimber, I have already installed in it a PDI 6.01mm Palsonite inner barrel replacing the stock brass inner barrel to increase a bit of the power and give it more range. When I fielded it after the modification, it certainly showed a significant improvement on range and power. So I'm planning to keep that inner barrel for the Custom Covert II.

The black Palsonite tight bore barrel can be seen inside the larger outer barrel of the M.E.U.

I've been doing a lot of watching on YouTube about custom works of TM 1911s and one channel that I find very helpful is LaZoucheCustomshop's channel. His videos and tutorials has been a very big part of my learning process in terms of customizing, upgrading or just simply swapping parts between different models and makes. In his channel, I also figured which basic parts I should upgrade to achieve my desired performance of the gun. 

He mentioned three major parts that help improve the performance of a TM 1911 pistol and those are the inner barrel, the hop-up rubber and the blowback housing. I've already discussed above the inner barrel so the next thing I will talk about is the other two.

Hop-up Rubber
The hop-up rubber, for those who don't know already, is the part that gives back-spin to the BBs thereby giving it a longer and straighter flight. There are many aftermarket hop-up rubbers but the one that is very highly recommended and most widely used is the NineBall Wide Use Air Seal Chamber Packing, or simply the NineBall Hop Rubber. They're really hard to find as they're sold out almost everywhere. The stock hop rubber from Marui is about the same quality as this one but it is believed that the NineBall provides better sealing which translates to increased power. Just like the stock hop rubber, this upgrade will give a better and longer BB flight than most other hop rubbers in the market.




Blowback Housing / Blowback Unit
The blowback housing or unit is the part that holds the piston and assembled with the loading nozzle to provide blowback action of the GBB once it is fired, mimicking the action of the real steel. The stock BBH of a Tokyo Marui 1911 is good but compared to aftermarket parts, it is heavier as it is made out of pot metal. One of the most highly recommended aftermarket BBH is the Airsoft Surgeon Super Lightweight Speed Blowback Housing. It is made of 6061 Aircraft Aluminum making it lighter (23grams) than the original one (43grams). This lightweight feature actually is more useful to people that upgrade and set their pistols up as a race gun for competition. Because of its lightness, it helps for speedy blowbacks and follow-up shots. While I'm not setting up my M.E.U. as a competition pistol, the use of a sturdy but light BBH will help since I'm using a metal kit. The Airsoft Surgeon BBH uses an O-ring for its piston which provides better seal with the loading nozzle thereby giving the pistol better gas economy. The set comes with a loading nozzle spring and a screw to hold the BBH into position in the slide.



The original Airsoft Surgeon BBHs have red pistons. I believe that because of other manufacturers imitating the design of popular makers, the Airsoft Surgeon BBH piston color was changed to blue. That, or it just has something to do with material choice and availability.

Other Parts
While those are the three major things that I had intended to replace internally, some of the sets I used have some internal upgrade parts in it. The HurricanE Kimber Custom Covert II kit has the upgraded recoil spring included in the package so I installed it as well to give my pistol a faster return to battery action and a crisper blowback action. 

The Nova Kimber type hammer set also includes what I believe is a steel sear so I replaced the original sear of the M.E.U., too.

The black steel sear is included in the hammer set
I think I have discussed all of the parts already, so up next...on with the build!

No comments:

Post a Comment