28 January 2012

Kimber Custom Covert II: The Slide

It has been exactly a week since my last post, and in my previous entries I have discussed all the different parts that would be used for my Kimber Custom Covert II airsoft build. This time, I'm going to show the process of building the slide from stripping the Tokyo Marui M.E.U. Pistol up to the finished slide - step by step. I know most airsoft players, gun enthusiasts and gunsmiths already know this process, but I am posting this especially for those who doesn't know and for those interested to know how I did it.

My work desk as I begin the custom build


First, I removed the slide stop from the M.E.U. by pulling the slide back and pulling out the slide stop lever.


Then the barrel assembly was removed by taking out the recoil spring and spring guide assembly, removing the barrel bushing and barrel plug, and finally, pulling out the barrel assembly from the front of the slide.



I kept the barrel bushing, barrel plug and the spring guide for later use with the conversion kit.



After that, I pulled out the inner barrel and hop chamber assembly from the outer barrel. As shown in the photo below, I already had a PDI Palsonite 6.01 inner barrel installed.



The chamber was then opened in half by undoing the two screws. Generally, one doesn't need to open this, but in my case, I am also planning to install the NineBall hop rubber and clean the inner barrel so I disassembled the chamber.



The hop mechanism was removed and the hop rubber separated from the inner barrel.



After cleaning the inner barrel, the new NineBall hop rubber was installed. I also re-oiled the hop-up adjustment wheel.



This is the chamber now after putting it back together.



After I set the chamber assembly aside, I removed the screw from the rear of the slide using an allen wrench. 



This is now a photo of the rear of the slide with the screw removed. The small part where the hammer strikes was removed also.



By opening up the plastic slide using two thumbs, the blowback unit assembly can be taken out. In the photo below, the blowback housing can be seen with the parts where I filed to fit the Dytac luminous sight before. Please note that there is a spring on top of the blowback housing and that it can drop anytime after removing the BBH from the slide. Be careful not to lose it, although, replacements can be bought in most airsoft shops if you did.



The loading nozzle was now removed from the blowback unit.



Notice in the photo below that I had installed the nozzle spring improperly when I replaced the original Novak sights with the Dytac sights before so there was deformity on one end of the spring. 



The photo below shows a look inside the M.E.U. plastic slide. Visible are the file marks when I did a mod on the rear sight to have it properly fit with the BBH.



The next photo shows the new loading nozzle spring (good thing the Airsoft Surgeon BBH I used has one included in the set!) and the rather unexpected (at least for me, in a good way) loading nozzle spring guide that came in with the Hurricane conversion kit.



After doing the reverse to assemble the blowback unit, it is then placed to the metal slide. The Airsoft Surgeon BBH is a drop-in fit for the Hurricane Kimber slide!



Next thing I did was put a little silicon oil on the metal chamber thread and the o-ring that comes with the kit. The chamber and  the metal outer barrel was then assembled together.




The metal chamber slot is shaped and designed to easily accomodate the inner barrel and hop chamber assembly.





The new barrel assembly was now inserted into the slide.



I then placed the barrel bushing and the barrel plug. At this time, I had set aside the original recoil spring and replaced it with the stronger and stiffer recoil spring included in the conversion kit.



The recoil spring and spring guide assembly is installed.  And here's the finished slide in different angles.





Well, of course, my next post will feature the longer - and more difficult - process of building the frame. Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment